The Uniting Church (The Methodist Church) 1885

The Uniting Church (The Methodist Church) 1885

The Uniting Church was opened in 1885. Thomas Parramore gave the land and the first stone was quarried from the Beaufront Quarries. Percy Oakden, (son of Phillip, an old Horton College Student) was the architect. His mother, before her marriage, was a Parramore.

Ross Uniting Church 2The foundation stones were laid by Mrs Parramore of Beaufront, Ross, and Mrs Elizabeth Horton (wife of Capt. Horton of Somercotes) on 13th December, 1882. The Church is in traditional Gothic Style, with an interior ceiling of Oregon pine and pews made from Tasmanian Blackwood. The current Uniting Church did replace the first Methodist Church which fell into disrepair. The Methodist Church was completed in 1839. The chapel was built of freestone and measured 40 x 27 feet and had a shingle roof and fluted pillars either side of the front entrance. The interior fittings were of Cedar. In 1850, a Gallery with a quaint staircase was erected across the back of the chapel. When Horton College was established in 1855, the boys walked the 4km to the Chapel every Sunday and the gallery was reserved just for them.

Capt. Horton gave a barrel organ to the Chapel. It was wound up like a gramophone and could play 24 tunes. One Sunday, something went wrong and the organ would not stop playing. It was carted out and left to play itself out – in the paddock.

Ross Uniting Church 1When the new Church was built in 1885, the old Chapel was given to the Anglican Church in 1932. They used the stone to build The Kermode Wing onto the Anglican Sunday School. Stone and pillars from the first Chapel are sited on the Northern side of the present Church, they were unveiled in 1936 for the Church Jubilee.

Shortly after the Church opened, it was due to the generosity of local pioneering families, such as Horton, Riggall & Parramore, that the debt in connection to the building was paid in full. The total cost for its construction had been 4350 pounds.

North facing window

A: He will hold your hand forever
B: They found him in the temple.
C: Old students of Horton College Memorial – 1884
D: Samuel the Prophet
E: The chills Samuel, ministered unto the Lord before Eli
F: Timothy Bishop
G: From a child you have known the sacred scriptures.

Parramore Window: In memory of Thomas and Frances Parramore (Middle pane, Left pane) ‘Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord’ (Right pane) ‘A woman that feareth the Lord she shall be praised’.

On 2nd June, 1928, the boys of Horton College placed a Memorial in the Horton transept in memory of their beloved headmaster for 26 years, William Walker Fox. B.A.

The Uniting Church is open daily. We invite you to visit, explore, enjoy quiet reflection and ponder on days of old.


Ross Uniting Church 3 Ross Uniting Church 5 Ross Uniting Church 4 Ross Uniting Church 15 Ross Uniting Church 16 Ross Uniting Church 11 Ross Uniting Church 10 Ross Uniting Church 12 Ross Uniting Church 9
Ross Uniting Church 14 Ross Uniting Church 13 Ross Uniting Church 6 Ross Uniting Church 6 Ross Uniting Church 7 Ross Uniting Church 8