Mrs G W Keach (nee Mary MacKinnon Taylor) was an early advocate for the built heritage of Ross, and also one of the Midlands’ first women sheep breeders.
Mrs Keach grew up at ‘Kenilworth’ and ‘Winton’, and was part of a family well known as prize-winning Merino breeders in Tasmania. She married Mr George W Keach and lived at ‘Roseneath’, west of the Ross Bridge. There she kept a Merino stud of sheep sourced from her family’s properties. She entered her own Merino ewe in the Longford Show in 1952, and won the championship for her class. From then on she became part of a growing tradition of female sheep breeders in the Northern Midlands through the 1950s and 1960s.
After the death of her husband, Mrs Keach ‘retired’ to a cottage in town, ‘The Shieling’, and seems to have kept her favourites from her flock in the next-door paddock.
Learn more about our wool story.