The Horton Scholarship Honour Board
Students’ names in gilded lettering on this board tells us the recipients of the Horton Scholarship from Horton College, Ross, from 1874 to 1888.
The college motto, “Nil Sine Magno Labore”, “A.s. 1874”, and other details are gilded on to the heavy black timber frame, which is embellished with architectural elements including pilasters on both sides, and a cornice with castellated detail above the frieze.
The motto is an abbreviation from Horace’s adaption of the Greek writer Epicharmus’ original sentiment, “The gods sell mortals every blessing in return for their labour”.
The Honour Board was first loaned, then formally donated from the Ross Uniting Church.
Bennell Brothers Launceston designed and manufactured the board.
The Board is one of a small collection of objects related to Horton College and the Horton family.
Horton College was a boarding school for boys, which operated from 1855 to 1894, and is reported to be the first Methodist college in Australia. It was established under the auspices of the Wesleyan Church, when, in 1850, Captain Horton of Somercotes offered the Church 20 acres and 1350 pounds for the establishment of the College. For a time it was one of the most prestigious schools in the country. It was seen as developing future leaders.
Captain Horton and his wife Elizabeth were staunch Wesleyans and had a long involvement with the church.
The Horton Scholarship was an initiative of Mrs Horton, and was used to promote excellence in the College.