Stonemasons at work

Stonemasons at work

Working at Richard’s Stonemasons workshop, Ross c 1900 Stonemasons finishing stone blocks from the Ross sandstone quarries so they are ready to be used for building. If you’re passing by Bakery 31 in Ross, take a peek at the wooden shed behind it. The locals think this was where Richard’s workshop was.

‘A Postcard from Ashby’ c1900

‘A Postcard from Ashby’ c1900

‘Ashby’ is a wool-growing property near Ross. If you look closely, you can see members of the Bennett household on the veranda, and a lady ready to drive a four wheeled buggy – a little glimpse of life in another era. We’ve included some close-ups of the Bennett family. Claude Standaloft, the photographer, ran a […]

Let’s build a snowman!

Let’s build a snowman!

‘Want a build a snowman?’ These three littlies were photographed during a rare snowy day in Ross in the 1960s.

E T Richard’s Family

E T Richard’s Family

E T Richard was a builder and mason. This postcard of his family was probably taken by Claude Standaloft, and later used to promote Mr Richard’s business. There is much happening in this delightful photo. We can see one of his older daughters bringing out some lunch, some of the other kids larking about on […]

Ross: What’s in a name?

Ross: What’s in a name?

Ross was named by Governor Lachlan Macquarie on his 1821 visit to Van Dieman’s Land. Drawing on his Scottish heritage, Macquarie chose the name Ross in remembrance of his friend Hector McDonald Buchanan whose seat on the banks of Loch Lomond was called Ross Priory. In his journal, Macquarie noted that the site here, on […]

Daniel Herbert – Convict Stonemason

Daniel Herbert – Convict Stonemason

Danial Herbert was born in Somerset in 1797. He lived in Leeds and worked as a signboard writer. Following his involvement in a hold-up, he was sentenced to death in 1827. Only hopeless unemployment and poverty could have driven such a talented man to desperate measures. ‘All I longed for was peace of death. But […]

The Uniting Church (The Methodist Church) 1885

The Uniting Church (The Methodist Church) 1885

The Uniting Church was opened in 1885. Thomas Parramore gave the land and the first stone was quarried from the Beaufront Quarries. Percy Oakden, (son of Phillip, an old Horton College Student) was the architect. His mother, before her marriage, was a Parramore. The foundation stones were laid by Mrs Parramore of Beaufront, Ross, and […]

New exhibition at the Tasmanian Wool Centre Museum

New exhibition at the Tasmanian Wool Centre Museum

Our Grateful Thanks and Loving Remembrance   ‘Deeply mourned but duty notably done‘ A mother’s words in a newspaper notice on the first anniversary of her son’s death.   Our Grateful Thanks and Loving Remembrance, the current exhibition at the Tasmanian Wool Centre Museum, is a moving and deeply personal exhibition remembering the soldiers whose […]

Dial a Local

Dial a Local

Dial up a local and listen to some tales that only we locals know! Two bright red vintage phone boxes are a cheerful sight on the streetscape of our Ross village. One of them even has a working phone. The “Tasman Flag” red wooden phone boxes are among the many lovely features of Ross, and send […]