James Barwick was 22 and working as a clerk for the Railways when he enlisted in May 1915. He served in the Gallipoli campaign and in France. He was awarded the Military Medal for his part in action at Bullecourt in May 1917 after he ‘led a platoon with great dash in a successful counter-attack; he later carried forward a box of ammunition under heavy fire. he set his men a splendid example of coolness and cheerfulness‘.
On his return from the war, he married Eva Mary Goss, sister of Cecil Goss. In 1920 James became licensee of the Ross Hotel. He also received a grant of land on the Macquarie River under the Returned Soldier Settlement Scheme. He later farmed the 1450-acre property Lewisham, running Corriedale and cross-bred sheep. James was also involved with the cycling club and successfully bred and raced greyhounds. In the greyhound world he was known as Big Jim. He died in 1938 at the age of 44 and is buried in Ross.
James’ story is part of our exhibition: Our Grateful Thanks and Loving Remembrance, a moving and deeply personal exhibition remembering the soldiers whose names are immortalised on the Ross War Memorial.